I Finished A Novel... Now What?

September 09, 2015

I Finished a Novel... Now What?

As many of you know from my social media accounts, I've finished the first draft of I Wish I May! The grand total: 108,260 words and 359 pages of 8.5 x 11" paper. I wrote "The End" on August 31st and let me tell you... it felt oh so good. It took a grand total of six months to write this luscious hunk of paper and it wasn't always easy. There were definitely ups and downs and writing certain parts of this novel felt like pulling teeth, but this is my darling novel. From the moment that I wrote the first conversation between Zelda and the prince in a notebook at the laundromat, it was love at first sight.

Now it's time to edit. I started my first full read-through this morning and I can't wait to make this manuscript the best it can be. There are a few ideas rattling around my head for changes, but most importantly, I can't wait to send it off to my beta readers. In the meantime, if teen lit, fairy godmothers, magic, and romance are things that interest you, you can read chapters one through ten on Wattpad and Figment.

So what's next? It's time to get back to work that's what. Between editing, I have tons of projects down the pike I can't wait to sink my teeth into.

I have a short story in progress called The Painter's Apprentice that I'm working on finishing.  It's an alternative history of the French Revolution (sort of), but it was mostly an excuse to flex my writing muscles to craft a story in first person POV and present tense. You can read it on Wattpad and Figment if art, revolution, and Fae folklore are your thing.

After that, my next project is the second of my Victorian Christmas novellas. Last Christmas I wrote a novella in twelve parts called Carols & Courtship and posted a chapter daily for each of the twelve days leading up to Christmas (sort of). In the chaos of the holiday I ran a little behind, so my goal this year is to have the novella done before the actual holidays arrive since I will be in and out of town this year. I have given this sequel the title Mistletoe & Matrimony. This story will follow one of the characters from Carols & Courtship as they try to find the happy ending they didn't get in the previous novella. 

As for my next novel, I have a notebook full of possibilities and a few short stories I want to turn into full novels, but my next project has never seen the light of day...yet. I'm a total pinaholic when it comes to creating Pinterest boards for new story ideas. You can usually guess what I'll be writing next based on these, but I will confess... I keep the best stuff secret. I'm still working on the characters and won't likely have time to start until 2016, but I thought I would share a few images from my secret Pinterest board. If Edwardian England, magic, and class struggles are your thing, well... you're going to have to wait a little while for this one.


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Yay, congratulations on finishing I Wish I May! I can't wait to read the ending! ZeLeo feelz ahoyyyy! :P Also, more in the same world as Carols & Courtship? Yes please! Will we get a mention or two of Holly and her boo David? :D Your new story looks so gooood from those pictuuuures! I need it in my life. Is it gonna be like Gran Hotel but with magic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! I can't wait to pass the MS onto you!! Yes, there will definitely be a mention of Holly & David in the next novella;)

      I'm not sure about the new story. I have been dying to write a story set in a hotel, but research material is proving hard to find. All I have right now is three characters and a really complicated magic system, so we'll see;)

      Delete

I appreciate all of your wonderful comments and feedback!
It means the world to me!
Always,
Adelyn

Popular Posts

Subscribe

* indicates required
I am a...

Featured Post

Mid-Nanowrimo Update: Things I've Learned

Well... we're over halfway there and I'm way behind. Way way behind—but that's okay! I'm still determined to finish out...

Subscribe